Out Side the Classroom

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Flipped Learning

 
 

What is flipped learning, and how can it benefit us? Is it easy to use? Is everyone able to use it? Who will be affected by flipped learning? In TED-ED there is a lot of ways teachers can use flipped learning. What I read in TED was very interesting to me. I learned that flipped learning is for teachers to teach the lesson outside of school and to learn and do homework inside of school.

I found this amazing, because I know from personal experience that some of my homework I did was too hard and I couldn't do it.  My parents weren't helpful because they were always at work. With flipped learning we will be able to show children and parents the lesson and be able to work on it in school to further explain and to show more examples on how to do the lesson. Are you still confused on what flipped learning is, well here is the jiff of it. Flipped learning is showing your lesson on a podcast, articles, and youtube video, that the student will do at home.  Then when the student comes to class the next day the teacher can see who understood the lesson and who needs more time or more examples.  This leaves more time in the classroom to do work instead of teaching the subject and helping them learn it.

There are many pros about flipped learning. Bill Nye the science guy goes on about flipped learning. bill talks about a program that uses flipped learning that teachers and school districts can use. Check out Flipped Sophia. I know this sounds great and your probably thinking who actually can use this. Well Crystal Kirch, of Sagerstorm uses this method of teaching and raves about it. If you are wondering where I learned all of this information you can't check out this website, Flipped Learning Turning Learning on its Head.

Here is another great website that can further explain flipped learning and how it helps in the classroom, click on me! This website goes on how flipped learning helps with collaboration in the classroom, and giving teachers the tools to give their knowledge on topics in a different, fun, and creative way.


I know I have talked about the great advantages of having flipped learning in schools, but what are the disadvantages of flipped learning? As soon as I started reading all of these articles, all I could think about are the poor school districts that can't afford the technologies that other school districts can.  In my SEDU 183 class Professor Smith showed me a very interesting video about Erie County School district. After watching this video, I really started to think about the downside of Flipped Learning.
After Pondering at this idea that not every school could use this, I found this great website that talks about the disadvantages of Flipped Learning, Check it out! This website helps support my way of thinking.

 
I was wondering how could poorer school districts afford this flipped learning. I further looked into grant funding for technology. Many schools qualify for grants, that can help them  get newer technology into their schools and homes of children that are living in poverty. I found this website that teachers or school administrators can use. They can file for grant assistance that will help aid for technology in their schools. Teachers and Administrators can apply right online. It's as easy as 1,2,3.
 
 
I believe that flipped learning is a great way to expand our resources, and in my SEDU 183 we use this method a lot. I would try to use this as a tool to teacher but I won't always use it. I have many ways that I want to teach and I know that not every idea will work with my students, but not to throw those ideas away because it may work next year with a new set of children. I will try this way of teaching, but I know that it may not work every year with my students so I need to know many ways of teaching so that my students will always get a quality education.


No comments:

Post a Comment